walking for weight loss?

1. paperbeagle says:

I have some physical limitations that make a lot of forms of cardio difficult for me. I have begun walking but I am very disappointed with the amount of calories burned per km at the best pace I can do. I need to shed a few pounds and improve my health... and I keep hearing that walking is good for this, but I am concerned that I'd need to be walking several hours a day! Feedback?

2. paul says:

As a dedicated cardio nut, I was surprised at what a difference weight training made. It's not that you burn as many calories during a workout, but there are longer term effects. From what I've read, the increased muscle mass ends up burning more calories, even at rest.

3. wonderblossoms says:

I started walking 5 days a week for about an hour per walk when I was pregnant with my second child last fall. I walked for 1 month and saw incredible improvement in my muscle tone. I didn't lose weight, but I lost fat and inches and didn't gain weight that month. In the following 2 months walking, I saw continued improvement in my appearance as well as ability to chase after my other toddler (I had a lot more energy and stamina).

My advice to you is to just walk. Don't worry about calories or if it's "enough" exercise. It will improve the quality of your life by leaps and bounds. I was shocked at how effective it was (before I had kids, I was a runner and thought walking wasn't really exercise at all). My dad is also a walking success story - he had a mild heart attack and started walking. He lost 30 pounds in half a year, kept it off, and saw improved range of motion, muscle tone and energy.

You can always add in other more rigorous workouts as you get more fit. But if you are looking to improve your health, walking - consistent, most-days-a-week walking - should be a great way to get started!

4. k2denver says:

I'm soooo excited to have found this site/tool, it's exactly what I've needed, quick n easy to get all the calculations I want.. including calories burned.. the best! I haven't been able to find the name of who wrote this program but THANK YOU, thank you so much for helping us all here to stay motivated. I'm really surprised to find out that it's been here since 2005 but it occurred to me only this week to do a search with keywords and voila... here it is. Again, thank you so much.

5. k2denver says:

Now I'm a bit confused... I can't find the same thread I thought I was adding to?? Category is the same but I can't find the other posts that were directly before my first one above. There was one from 'Inca' that I wanted to reread and reply to but can't find it now... what am I doing wrong? Thanks much for any help.

6. paul says:

Sorry for the confusion. Online forums are plagued by spammers so all posts have to be approved by me. Had a little catching up to do!

Glad you're enjoying the site!

7. denise70460 says:

Awesome site! I stumbled on it when I did a google search for gmaps, thinking I was going to google maps! nice!

8. psergas says:

Hi Paperbeagle

I have learned over the years to follow the golden rule of everything in moderation. Sometimes to much exercise can cause a person weight gain and stress.

Have a great day.

Peter

9. mragsdale45 says:

Peter,

You nailed it with the keyword moderation. As a PT (personal trainer), I see my clients struggle with this concept all the time. They want to go full bore into whatever activity and when the willpower fails, they fall off the wagon. If they could grasp the concept of moderation and just workout slowly and steadily over time, they'd find the success they seek.

~~
    Mitchell - CPT
    "Be Active, Be Fit"
    What is Garcinia Cambogia

10. lvjeremylv says:

About a month ago I finally got fed up with my weight and conditioning so I completely changed my eating habits and started my daily walks again. I have lost 20 pounds so far, which I attribute half to my change in eating (went from probably 5,000 calories a day on average down to 1,500) and the other half to walking for right around 2 1/2 hours every morning. Some people aren't going to be able to walk that much, others can do more, and others still would incorporate jogging into that time. I find that for my body, this is what works. So I'd say there's no set answer here, other than to say if you're trying to lose weight, burn more calories than you're taking in. The rest will take care of itself.

11. ldcalk says:

Adding a light weights workout on days you don't walk is a really good idea...or yoga or pilates for your flexibility... love this website since 2010... but haven't used it in a while... love trying to find good hilly walks... the elevation feature helps me save the successful ones!! I gained 10 lbs when I turned 40. Walking has helped me not gain more for 15 years!!!

12. Urcomax says:

Back to the comment by Paul (Feb 19 2012) above. Muscle tone is the key. Your weight is not and never has been a function of how many calories you eat or burn. Having good muscle tone will allow you to move more glycogen away from fat and into muscle and hence gain less/lose weight. The older you get the harder this becomes - old muscles are more resistant but weight/strength execrcises refresh and renew muscle to some extent. To really control your weight, understand how your body controls it and work with it. Reduce the glycemic load of the foods you eat - avoid carbohydrates. For a true science based understanding read Gary Taubes: Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It.

13. cowpost1 says:

I had not walked in many years due to back and knee injuries and surgeries. I finally started one year ago because our neighborhood has a running/walking group and set times to go. We work toward a group total mileage goal--last year (2014) we topped 7000 miles (yes, we walked/ran from Wisconsin, USA, to China!)

My first day out (Dec. 31, 2013), I managed to walk 2/3 mile and it took me 40 minutes! I walked for 6 months on a broken foot (they said it was soft tissue injury) then had surgery to fix the break. I actually lost 5 lbs while I was laid up, which I totally did not expect. I was off it for 4 months. Just started serious walking again Dec. 15, 2014. Now I am walking 2-3 miles at least 3x week and at least 1 mile the rest of the days, and I walk a 20 minute mile pace. I will never tun, but I know it is doing my heart good--both my BP and cholesterol are better, and the weight is coming off at a reasonable rate.

I also have used My Fitness Pal free app to help me become aware of food intake. I found after a month or two of using it religiously, I internalized what I was eating and didn't have to enter everything. If I start to slide, I go back to it. That was suggested by the Mayo Clinic.

I am also doing stretching, core strengthening, and light resistance training and have started some light weight training per my physical therapist. I am not trying to drop weight fast, just steadily and build my endurance. And, yes, we walk outside in the Wisconsin winter--I just got back and the windchill was minus 22F (minus 30C). We just layer on the clothing. I don't think I have as many cravings when I have been walking. Good luck to everyone struggling with physical injuries. but it is possible to get back out there--just go slowly and listen to your body! But, GO!