Elevation Data

1. gryhrt says:

I love the elevation graph...but is there any way to get numerical data from it? E.g. total elevation acended/descended?

2. Genie00 says:

I think when you save the route in a work out log it tells you the elevation gain and elevation change

3. jnmaloof says:

If you save the route and then click on "bookmarked routes" total ascent and change will be marked.

4. gryhrt says:

Excellent -- thanks!

5. grantr says:

Can I add an additional question? Is it possible to extract the distance and height data, all the way along the route, in the form of a table, to allow me to create a chart in excel to show the elevation? ie to create something similar to the little route elevation chart that appears below the map. Alternatively, can the current chart be increased in size and the scales adjusted to make it possible to read off the actual elevation for any point along the route?

6. set921 says:

I really appreciate the elevation data, however, as of yesterday it has stopped working. Even my bookmarked routes are missing this data. Hopefully it starts working again soon. (The summaries are still there on the bookmark page, it's the graph that's missing from the map page)

7. bweakley says:

When I save my route I still don't get the elevation data...any advise?

8. gryhrt says:

Once you save your route, you have to click on "bookmarked routes" at the top of the page. The next page you see is a list of all your bookmarked routes, and it's on that page that you'll see elevation data listed on the right side of that list. You still won't see elevation data when you're actually looking at the map of the route.

9. ohland says:

Elevation change incorrect?
    I saved a new route today, and it shows a gain of 124 ft, but a change of 0. This hints that the change is related to the start and end points. If the start and end are the same, then the elevation change will be zero. This data has no value at all.

How about two figures, elevation gain (highest relative elevation achieved) and elevation decline (minimum relative elevation achieved)?

10. kendogger says:

Most cyclists find the elevation data shown to be the most relevant. Total Gain!!

11. kateruns2 says:

I love this site! Thank you. Getting ready to run my first half marathon Sept. 24. have been using this site to plan training routes, comparing elevations with half marathon elevations, etc. Making sure I'm ready. Thanks again!

12. RFSea says:

In list workout view; my elv gain for a given run is 2ft v 2K actual feet in recent runs of > 2kfeet change in elev-

1./ http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5080690
    2./ http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5060972

13. snymanp says:

On 15/8/2011 grantr asked:Is it possible to extract the distance and height data, all the way along the route, in the form of a table, to allow me to create a chart in excel to show the elevation? ie to create something similar to the little route elevation chart that appears below the map. Alternatively, can the current chart be increased in size and the scales adjusted to make it possible to read off the actual elevation for any point along the route?
    Has this question been answered? I am also interested. A CSV excel file would be excellent!

14. zgummy says:

set921 said: it's the (elevation) graph that's missing from the map page

I'm using Chrome and recently installed the AdBlock extension. Took me awhile to figure out that it was the extension that was apparently also blocking the elevation chart on the mapping page. I added this site to AdBlock's whitelist to fix.

15. xvnate says:

zgummy - thanks! AdBlock was my problem as well. This site is awesome!
    :)

16. jefmcg says:

Thanks! Adblock was my problem too.

17. Swilly says:

Has anyone experienced that elevation gain is only good up to 999.99 feet? If you have any gain greater than 1000 feet, the program defaults to 1.00 ft. Can this be corrected?

18. loro says:

For me none of this works. For bookmarked routes elevation always says 0.00.

I most often use Iron (same as Chrome). I disabled adblock for this domain and created a new route. Nothing changed.

19. loro says:

For me none of this works. For bookmarked routes elevation always says 0.00.

I most often use Iron (same as Chrome). I disabled adblock for this domain and created a new route. Nothing changed.

20. gryhrt says:

loro, do you have elevation turned on for your map (either the "small" or "large" option) before you save? I think if you have elevation turned off, you'll get "0.00," but if you turn it on for the map before you save, you'll be able to see the data on the bookmarked routes page.

21. loro says:

Darn, I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks heaps. :-)

BTW what does elevation change mean? The difference between gain and loss or something? If I get negative values, does that mean I've had more loss than gain?

22. loro says:

Hm. I tested plotting a short route up a long slope. I got this.

El gain: 21.9974 met; El change: 12.0000 met

Potting the same route but in the other direction, i.e. down I get this.

El gain: 22.0005 met; El change: -28.9987 met

Can someone explain?

23. tomleen says:

I plotted a route along the Alameda Creek trail in Fremont, California and the elevation gain was reported as 1683.0600 ft over a flat stretch of 0.3537 miles!
    Here is a link to the route
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5810506

It looks like there are some bugs in the elevation calculations.

24. 2farnorth says:

I've never been able to see the elevation graphs on gmaps pedometer for my rides/runs - the graph area looks like broken image links. When I right-click on these and open in a new window, I get the error message "Warning: Division by zero in /usr/www/users/pdegnan/milermeter/drawGraph.php on line 11". I have tried Safari, Firefox, Chrome. I've tried turning on the elevation data before routing the map. I guess this means that the elevation data is not available for Alaska roads? :( I can map it in Google Earth to get the elevation profile but it isn't as friendly for this as Gmaps Pedometer. Any chance of getting the data for us northerners?

25. chrisp0917 says:

I have experience similar to tomleen. I have many hilly routes, but the Elevation Gain seems to be all over the place. Recently plotted a 50 miler in northern Michigan that was constant climbing. Elevation data for that ride was a believable 2500 feet. Later did a 35 mile route --half of which is almost flat -- that showed over 7,000 feet of gain! I don't think the elevation data is trustworthy.

26. worker says:

someone need to manage and update the FAQ. I see this is a very common question and many run into the same problem. FAQ would really help.

27. Susan says:

I created a new route yesterday /?r=6185731. appears fine except that when I try to show the elevation profile, either Small or Large, a blank graph appears with Middle elev of 177.16' & Max of 107860.88 !!. I've tried closing & reopening the route, closing & reopening G-P & Undoing & re-adding the Last Point. Nothing works. I've checked a couple of other rtes & they're OK.

28. wobots says:

I also have noticed a "problem" with the elevation gain vs total elevation. For the route http://gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6197909, it is all up, so the elevation gain should equal the total elevation. The TE is correct for the route, the EG is almost double. If I add the return leg, the TE is 0, which it should be, but the EG is higher.

29. sbrinkerhoff says:

And I cannot seem to get the elevation chart to show anything past 14 miles, even on a longer route.

30. Lisa_Restall says:

As of today, the elevation graphic appears broken, even for saved routes it previously worked on. Some routes show a partial graph (1 to 4km), and one shows the whole thing (21km). New routes have no elevation graph at all. Yesterday all elevation graphs worked fine.

31. paul says:

Lisa_Restall thanks for spotting that -- that bug was introduced when I added draggable routes. It's fixed now.

32. MartynShaw says:

I have a route /?r=6208993 along a coastline where the elevation suddenly drops to -107506 feet and then jumps back to about sea level, I wonder how that can be? Otherwise a great program!

Actually, following that up with an experiment r=6216098, it actually drops to -107506.56 feet or -32768 meters, suspiciously like 2^16, so a problem with the height at that specific location manifesting as a clipped int? Possibly by the provider of the heights. Not a problem with negative heights, since I tried a route along the dead sea and that worked fine.

33. bobaddison says:

My results with the elevation graphic are similar to wobots. The TE seems to be correct (close to the USGS data), but the EG is wrong. So far the routes I have tried have an EG that is always too large. Sometimes I notice that there appears to be a spike in the elevation graph where there was nothing on the trail. Does this get figured into the EG? Is the accuracy of the elevation data known? If so what is it? As far as I can tell the previous requests for a CVS excel file have gone unanswered. I would also be interested in having this capability.

34. sbrinkerhoff says:

The elevation graphic works really well UNLESS my route goes across a body of water. Then it fails. Does this happen with anyone else?

35. mpak says:

Hoping for confirmation on a definition...does this (awesome) website truly calculate elevation gain, or does it add up total elevation gain and loss for the final "elevation gain" figure? By my (rough) calculation, it seems as if the calculation is total elevation gain AND loss. Clarification much appreciated. Thank you!

36. paul says:

Sorry about the slow reply -- elevation change is is the sum of increase and decrease. So on a loop route elevation change should be 0. But elevation gain represents increase only.

37. wobots says:

I have noticed on a few routes that sometimes the elevation gain is the altitude of the end, sometimes it is the elevation gained from the start. 9 mile canyon starting from US395 to the top the elevation gained and elevation changed should be the same. Walker's Pass (CA178 from CA14) to the top shows slightly more elevation gained than the elevation changed which is correct as there is a few downhill sections.